Oak Grove Cemetery in Conway, Arkansas spreads out from a gentle knoll that is dotted with oak, magnolia,
cedar, and other kinds of trees. Established in 1880, the cemetery's central focus is a white octagonal gazebo
with flower beds maintained by the Faulkner County Master Gardeners. Nearby, a bronze plaque gives the history
of the cemetery and a flagpole flies the American flag. The cemetery is approximately two-thirds full; lots are
available for purchase.
There are two annual ceremonies at Oak Grove Cemetery. Gone But Not Forgotten, a performance by actors who
play the parts of Conway pioneers, is staged in the fall. A confederate re-enactment ceremony in the spring recounts
the life of Colonel Allen Rufus Witt who is buried at Oak Grove.
Location: East end of Bruce Street
Normal Hours of Operation: Sunrise to Sunset
Contact Information for Oak Grove Cemetery Board Members
Chris Spatz, President; 327-2615; firstname.lastname@example.org
Tina Mankey, 327-4412
Virginia Nutter, 327-1983
Chris Odom, 513-9004
Jackie Robinette, 327-0731
Sue Siria, 450-3925
Patricia Thessing, 327-1650
Board meetings: Normally third Tuesday of the month; 5:30 PM; Conway Corporation Building on Prairie Street
Oak Grove Cemetery History
A group of Conway's leading citizens met on the south edge of town in a grove of oak trees on March 9, 1880
to establish Oak Grove Cemetery. They elected Colonel George W. Bruce as the first president of the Oak Grove
Cemetery Association. The first burial ceremony was for little Maude Ingram, 8 year old daughter of William and
Agnes Ingram (July 11, 1881). A formal consecration of the cemetery was conducted by the Rev. William Lee and the
Rev. B Williams on September 26, 1881. Shortly after its establishment, a few persons buried on the McCulloch
property near Hendrix College were moved to Oak Grove Cemetery.
By 1945, all the lots within the cemetery's original boundary had been sold. The cemetery association acquired
acreage to the east. In 1955, approximately ten additional acres were purchased south of the cemetery. Later, the
Robinette Cemetery on the west side of Oak Grove was annexed. Today, Oak Grove Cemetery covers 24 acres.
Most of Conway's leading citizens from its earliest era are buried here, making Oak Grove historically
significant for the community. About 100 Civil War soldiers, both Union and Confederate, are interred along
with veterans of other wars. A flag pole to fly the American flag was installed near the center of the cemetery
in 2002. A gazebo was constructed nearby by the Robinette family and dedicated on Memorial Day, 2004. A bronze
plaque with a history of the cemetery was added in 2007.